Friday, November 14, 2008

The joy in the smallest of things, that we might take for granted

Our production server, has been a VM using VMWare sitting on some type of non-windows platform. This server wasn't gen'ed by me and it has historically caused me pain (.Net was installed before IIS so I had to manually register everything for example). I've been axiously waiting for us to get a second box, ramped up, and now after months of waiting (And yes if my boss read this I admit I was part of the bottle neck for the last two months). We have a new server, and I was able to shut down the old server.

What does this have to do with the smallest of things that might take for granted? Well in the last three months, I have caused two different outages of our application on two occasions for roughly 10 minutes at a time. What was I doing you might ask? To take down a server, I must have done serious like reboot, or killed IIS, maybee I messed with the configuration files?

Nope none of that. All I did was empty the stinking recycle bin, and neither of those times did I ever let it finish it took me 10 minutes to get the status window focused so I could click the cancel button.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to create a couple thousand files, so I can delete them and empty the recycle bin....Ahhh the small things in life!

- Josh

No comments: